The Restart program is a wage subsidy paid to employers that aims to assist mature age people participate in the workplace by encouraging employers to take on workers 50 years of age or older.
The full rate of the Restart subsidy is $10,000 (GST-inclusive), paid to the employer. Mature age job seekers employed for at least 30 hours per week will attract the full rate of the subsidy. Eligible job seekers employed between 15 to 29 hours per week will attract a pro-rata Restart subsidy.
The full rate of the subsidy is paid in four six-monthly instalments:
- $3,000 at 6 and 12 months of employment, and
- $2,000 at 18 and 24 months of employment.
Who is eligible?
Job seekers who are 50 years of age or older, who have been unemployed and are on income support for six months or more, can attract a Restart subsidy for an employer.
An eligible job seeker is someone who:
- is 50 years of age or older
- has been unemployed for six months or more and has been in receipt of any of the following income support payments for six months or more:
- Newstart Allowance; Parenting Payment; Disability Support Pension; Bereavement Allowance; Widow Allowance; Carer Payment; Special Benefit; Partner Service Pensioners; War Widows; Age Pension; Mature Age Partner Allowance; Wife Pension; Widows B Pension
- does not have any outstanding workers’ compensation claims against the employer, and
- is not an immediate family member of the employer.
Contact us if you would like some further information